Friday, May 14, 2010

Baby it’s hot out here

 

Find me on facebook….Telluride Dog Blog….up to 76 fans now….come on guys get your friends to sign up and  MAKE MY DAY! To readers in Indonesia, Lithuania, Poland, Hungary, Korea….you do make my day because I can’t imagine how you found me!

It’s so hot around here I have to sprawl…doing the tail tuck because yesterday a little guy called Ben really wanted to ring my bell…plus it is a more pleasing aesthetic.

P1070110

 

Well pictures do lie!  I hate rawhides.  I NEVER eat  them. Who has been spying on me is what I want to know!  Some paparazzi must have been lurking around Michelle’s  with her camera just waiting to catch me in the act.  OK…so I stole it from my new pal Louis.  I wasn’t planP1070096ning on eating it; I just wanted to see what all the fuss was about.  They taste like…..well, like rawhide if you want my honest opinion.  (is it the dead cow’s hide or his feet that I’m chewing on….makes me want to be a vegetarian).  You wouldn’t want to live on the things.  Personally I much prefer potato chips or Thanksgiving turkey to snack on but owner rarely breaks down on her “no people food” rule! 

 

As you know I’ve been stuck in this damn apartment for over a month now.  The British lady next door accused me of using her garden area as a toilet.  I mean PUHLEESE…is that with those English dogs do, do they have no class?  Has she got her blinds closed when that little Boxer down the way runs over to lift a leg here and there.  Until I got here he ran this joint but I’m here now and those days are gone.  Humans are so damned stupid. The reason I like to lie on the British lady’s patio and have  an occasional wander into her apartment is to stake my claim.  That Boxer needs to know I control the eastern end of the apartment block.  My gang  colours are red, duh! obvious from my red collar eh? and unless you are wearing red….STAY THE HELL OUT.  I think that dog wears some weird multi-coloured braided thing, completely passé.

Anyway, back to Louis.  He’s a well loved dog.  He’s 10 1/2 and can still roller blade with his “reddy”…..(his big guy has red hair). Up and down they zoom until Louis is pooped out.  There is lots I could say about Louis and poop but he’s a friend so let me just say he’s a sneaky devil.  He made a bet with me that he could really embarrass his owner with an old  standad dog joke and you know us dogs…we love to lord it over humans where poop is concerned. —he won the bet.   Louis and I laughed so hard we had to run to the back end of the garden to run our “sillies” out.  Nothing like a good guffaw with a friend I say. 

He’s a Basenji.  Did you know that Basenjis are African Royalty or they used to guard  African Royalty or one of them saw an African King once – from a distance.   He told me the whole story but it was  so darn hot out that his chatter went in one ear and out the otherP1070090. Get this though…the guy can’t bark.  He has no BARKER. I didn’t even hear him squeak.  To get what he wants he just runs away whenever the door opens.  Isn’t that sly….once they get him back home he gets whatever he wants because they are so grateful he’s back in the fold. He never has to say a word.  I’m going to try it which means  I have to figure out how to get out of the darn hallway of the apartment building. 

The point of telling you about Louis is to bring up the subject of Lucy. She’s wanted now but she had a long hard time on her own until my friends Jim and Karen adopted her.  Now she leads the life of luxury.  I heard owner ask Karen to describe Lucy in one word and this is what she said….Grateful.  Isn’t that lovely.

I’ve walked a mile in Lucy’s shoes and sometimes I get  blasé about my extraprdinary life and forget to be grateful.  I just take mountains, snowflakes, clear rivers, leaves to chase, sundappled patios for granted.  And then I get brought back to Texas!  But ever onwards with Lucy……

I got in from my playdate with Louis and lo and behold there was a letter waiting for me.  Lucy hardly ever gets her paws on the computer so this was a novelty. Unfortunately,  she’s a newcomer to technology due to her deprived early years so, alas, no photo. Maybe next week I will have one.  I decided to share her letter with you. Since I’ll be in town a lot this summer I hope to hang out in Lucy’s back yard. Hope she likes me!

Hi Casey,
I’m sorry we didn’t get to meet each other on Monday.  I think we could have had a blast!
Until we can get together, here is a little intro:  Things are so much better for me with Jim and Karen.  I can’t tell them about my history but they researched it as best they could.  I was born at one of those darn puppy farms and then sold to a pet store.  My first owners loved me at first and taught me some doggie dos and don’ts but then they tired of me.  Maybe that was because I had had two litters and they thought that was enough.  During this time the men around me were pretty hateful and I still exercise caution when one of them is around.  I was almost glad when they gave me to Cocker Rescue.  That is where my new family found me!  Three cheers!
We are going to Colorado in a few weeks.  This will be a new experience for me.  Maybe we can sniff each other after your travels and our return.
Woof,
Lucy
P.S.  I will try to get Jim to send a picture.  Everyone says I’m pretty cute

Lauren BloemsmaThere really can be happy endings.  Look how  old Don Juan finally found a new family.  He’s so damn happy he hasn’t dropped me a line.  I guess he didn’t love me as much as I thought he did.  I had a happy ending after my abandonment too,  but no dog had as happy an  ending as old Shiprock.  Shipper is one tough dude and he can wear the SuP1040853perman costume whenever he wants because if he weren’t so tough he would never have survived his first six months on the planet. 

 

Shipper was rescued at about 6 months old. He was very close to  death as he lay by the side of the road outside of Shiprock, New Mexico.  Something had pierced the underside of his jaw leaving a gaping hole that went through to just underneath his tongue.  (Water leaked out the bottom of his jaw when he drank.)  It appeared he had been living on roadkill as there were rabbit bones lodged in the incision, and an unGodly infection had resulted in such deterioration of his jawbone  it appeared to have been broken.  Lauren couldn’t leave him there so brought him home to nurse him back to health.  Given the state of his wounds and his precarious health even I, a dog, can imagine the love and compassion this took.  

Wounds are ugly.  Owner can’t even look at chickenpox so she’d have been useless if this had been me by the side of the road!  Lauren never intended to keep Shipper. She planned to nurse him back to health, find him a home, and move on with her own life.  Well, let’s say it has been about ten years, maybe longer…and she still hasn’t found him another home.  Shipper says she can drive him up the wall sometimes and he feels he’s been darn nice by not finding HER another home too!.  Stalemate.

Shipper thinks he’s so smart because he can balance a cookie on his nose before he tosses it into the air to eat it.  I like to dance around his face pretending I’m going to steal it.  Drives him insane!

Dear Readers, before I leave you I have a bone to pick with you. I have been living here for a month and not one of you warned me about something really frightening that could happen to me here.  Not one of you dropped me a line and said….”Casey beware!”  Look what happened to me!!!!!!! And it is your fault.  See ya later.

P1070116

 

No comments: