Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Bear Creek is for visitors!

Hiking photos Telluride 040

Hi, Casey here.  In case you haven’t been to Telluride in the summer I’m here to let you know there are lots of things to do. We have all kinds of festivals going on and we have hikes for people who don’t exercise at high altitude all the time.

If you decide to visit us, you can be nice to the locals, you can admire the locals, but it will be tough to compete with the locals.  These are people who enter 100 mile running races just for  fun.  If you like to do that, power to you.  I, for one, do not.  I only got one set of pads for  these paws and my plan is to be using them for a long time.

A lovely morning of gentle exercise for me is to   meander up Bear Creek Trail on a nice morning.  This is perfect for all first time  visitors; you’ll love it even if it is your tenth visit to town.  Colorado waterfalls equal beauty.  We go early just in case rain decides to come in during the afternoon.  Pack your raincoat and bring some water.  Since you are a dog lover  and  wondering if your dog can manage…I think if you have a regular exercise programme, your dog will do fine.  This is one hike for which  you do not  need to bring water for your dog.  Little creeks and trickling streams pop up along the trail most of the year.  If you are worried, why not throw an extra bottle and a small bowl for your pup.  What’s the worst that can happen?  You use it?

P1000914

Here is one of those over achieving Telluride guys.  It is not every day you hike to see a gorgeous waterfall and get sidetracked by somebody who is in such great physical condition they can bound  up the

side of a boulder and reach the top.  I don’t remember but I’m not even sure this guy had shoes on…no ropes for sure.  Are you ready?

That guy wore me out so I had to get a nice drink from the river. The water is icy.  You definitely don’t want to drink this water P1000927 yourself but your dog can.  However, I do feel I should   mention the word Giardia  just in case your pooch has a bit of stomach upset in a few days. Been there, done that…..hmmm….not fun. Still drinking it though so who am I to give advice?   By all means soak your feet in the water if you wish. If you have any desire to immerse yourself in our river water it will disappear instantly.  You have never felt cold like this before.

Guaranteed….you will be able to get this hike over and one with in a couple hours, no problem.   Just remember this, the blindfolded woman running the trail in her bare feet with  both hands tied behind her back – she lives here.  For all I know it could be our friend, Alice! And the guy headed downhill popping wheelies on his unicycle, he’s a local also.   My only word of caution is don’t do this in the winter around 2 p.m. when  the back country skiers are heading home.  I did; I nearly lost an eye to a ski pole.

My last words of wisdom are these.  Come to town and get up, get out, get moving, and enjoy yourself.  I thought about showing you the waterfall at the end of the trail but hey baby, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Oh by the way, you can look for new posts on Tuesdays and Fridays.  Thanks to everyone for liking my news.  See ya later.

No comments: