Friday, August 21, 2009

Living as a Telluride Dog








This is my first day letting you all know that I am living in dog heaven. The two-leggeds (t-l's) and I have been coming to Telluride ever since they adopted me. I, Casey, was abandoned outside my first rescuer's home freshly groomed but still damp. He, Michael, had three dogs already and a kind heart so he took me in. I had heart worm and was scared and lonely; a sadder case you never saw.




My heritage, of which I'm extremely proud, is Chow and Lab. Crazy as it sounds, I was about two when I was rescued and did not even know how to hold my tail up with dignity. Kari, the Akita, trained me to be the incredible specimen of a dog you see before you today!


At first life was hard...Michael leashed me to his waist so I had to sit when he told me, move when he told me, stay to his left, figure out how I fit into his pack, and generally learn how to be a house dog. Quickly I got in line and was pronounced more human than dog. Did I mention I've got a very high I.Q.?...not to brag, but how many dogs do you know who can use a computer? Times got a bit tough for Michael so an animal hospital took me in. I lived in a cage for about six months and then bewitched David, one of the techs. I'm forever in debt to Boris the Bouvier, may she rest in peace. She was a smart cookie and my adjustment to yet another family was made palatable. I ran away a lot but the t-l's were kind and loving and always came looking for me. I tested their love a lot but they passed with flying colours. David moved to Shanghai, China but by then I was part of the family so it was OK. Plus, eavesdropping one day I heard some people actually have to eat dogs in that country so I didn't really mind staying behind ....BUT I do pretend not to recognise David whenever he comes home. It is the least I can do!


Anyway, long story short, my two-leggeds had a condo in Telluride and we started making the long drive from Texas on a regular basis. A year ago they moved here permanently and I could not be happier. I have mountain trails, dog tails, and lots of smells. My dreams have improved 100% and I've even dropped a pound or two -- can't say the same for my t'l's but hey....they like their sugar. I'm getting older now so my arthritis kicks in periodically but the vet in town looks after me really well. I don't like her taking blood and I hate peeing in a bowl (how undignified is that?) We always get a piece of paper when we leave and my owner grumbles under her breath and I just don't get it. SHE wasn't the one poked in unmentionable places, I WAS, and you don't hear me complaining. You get a free cookie for every poke.


I've talked to other dogs. I hear their stories. I know where the living is good and life is easy; it is right here in Telluride. I'm just trying to spread the gospel so to speak although no organised religion can claim me as a member. No, I'd say I'm on my own path...and I try to hit that path every day as long as they are willing to keep me out there, oh wait I guess I digressed there.



Summer is ending. I'm sad. Our car is leaving for College with the youngest member of our pack. Car rides are my favourite, window down, nine hundred smells hitting my nose at once, heaven! I hate losing Benj too. He snuggles the best, he always lets me stick my nose in his garbage pail and his socks are the stinkiest. I could roll on those socks for days. I don't know who College is but I don't understand why Benj likes him better than me?



Anyway, I'm just learning to use my camera. It seemed smart to show other dogs what they are missing. I know if they could get to town they would never want to leave. Most of the other dogs around here are pretty nice and laid back. They welcome newcomers. I think if I can get the word out distant dogs will be smart enough to encourage their owners to drop by. Lord knows we could use more visitors this winter. Last year I got to spend a lot of time lolling around in front of the heater at The Bounty Hunter....it was a great gig. No idea what I'll be up to this winter. But first.....got to enjoy the ending of summer and the cold summer nights where you need a really great sheepskin to lie on. Did I mention I pretty much live in heaven on earth?



I plan to post photos and notes of life in town every few days. Hope to hear from you. And if you don't know...my name is Casey, Chowbrador. (some people say Chab....but it just doesn't work for me, sounds too much like Chub.)



No comments: